Thanks to Mr.Steven who kept pushing us on this, also thanks to Stephen Dyer, he suggested this mount from last year.
Finally, it's ready!
If you are in the Southern Hemisphere, this phone mount is a must-have.
Please feel free to contact us anytime, any questions.
Why do I need it?
Actually there are many cases when laser pointers or polar scopes are not possible in field, so polar alignment with phone apps is quite convenient from this aspect and a phone mount is in need then.
Here are some common situations when you would like to use it:
- in countries like Australia and Switzerland where laser pointers are mostly banned
- when buildings, mountains, etc. blocking the sky ahead of you that you could not point to Polaris
- in locations such as airports and observatories where laser pointers are not allowed
For polar alignment with phones, the Phone Mount is adjustable, easy to use, and light-weight, with the phone-holder part free to rotate.
- free to rotate the phone-holder part
- extendable grip enabling to adjust the phone-holder part for your phone size
- soft padding to securely holds your device
- fit for both 3/8"-16 and 1/4"-20 screws
Wide compatibility: 62mm-90mm, 4.5”-7.3”
Max load: 2kg
Item weight: 0.352lbs(0.16kg)
Material: aluminum alloy
How to do polar alignment with phones?
- Set up well your Rotator and camera.
- Mount the Phone Mount to the Rotator, your phone to the Phone Mount.
- Open a planetarium app and go to its AR feature, look for North/South Pole(depends on the hemisphere you're in) with the app.
There you go, ready to shoot!
How to mount it?
- Screw the Phone Mount onto a rig, the side of the Rotator facing at the ground in the case of polar alignment.
- Mount your phone to it and lock it well by controlling the knobs.
- Align the edge of your phone with the edge of the Rotator.
- Lock the position by rotating the knob on the other side compared to your phone.
The phone mount for polar alignment works great with the laser, makes doing the alignment in the southern hemisphere a breeze.
I ordered the cell phone mount to use when Polaris isn't visible. I had a chance to use it recently in a shoot, and it worked remarkably well. I took 2-minute exposures after aligning only with my phone using the mount, and there were no star trails in the images. Very impressed, and definitely worth it.
very small cool product
Light weight, easy to use and inexpensive
The key to MSM is the light weight, it fits in my backpack and is a very simple set up.
Inside the city limits of Los Angeles, it's impossible to see the North Star because of all the glowing from artificial lights. But using the Phone Mount for Polar Alignment makes it possible so that 25-second images are possible with a 200 mm lens. To accomplish this I used the Polar Finder App to know where to place the North Star. This was accomplished with Stellarium in it's point the cell phone mode (it has a cell phone icon) and a copy of a the reticle screen from Polar Finder. It works but seeing the copy of the reticle screen from Polar Finder is not always easy against a black screen. But it works. Further away from city lights where stars were more visible, this setup with the help of the it achieved a two minute exposure with a 24mm lens and would be a terribly inconvenient procedure without the aid of the Phone Mount for Polar Alignment.
it works, the supplied laser does not fit in supplied holder need to handhold in place
MSM is very compact and easy to setup for beginner like me. It's easy to setup by just using a phone apps because I mainly capture milkyway pictures.