Thanks to Mr.Steven who kept pushing us on this, also thanks to Stephen Dyer, he suggested this mount from last year.
Finally, it's ready!
If you are in the Southern Hemisphere, this phone mount is a must-have.
Please feel free to contact us anytime, any questions.
Why do I need it?
Actually there are many cases when laser pointers or polar scopes are not possible in field, so polar alignment with phone apps is quite convenient from this aspect and a phone mount is in need then.
Here are some common situations when you would like to use it:
- in countries like Australia and Switzerland where laser pointers are mostly banned
- when buildings, mountains, etc. blocking the sky ahead of you that you could not point to Polaris
- in locations such as airports and observatories where laser pointers are not allowed
For polar alignment with phones, the Phone Mount is adjustable, easy to use, and light-weight, with the phone-holder part free to rotate.
- free to rotate the phone-holder part
- extendable grip enabling to adjust the phone-holder part for your phone size
- soft padding to securely holds your device
- fit for both 3/8"-16 and 1/4"-20 screws
Wide compatibility: 62mm-90mm, 4.5”-7.3”
Max load: 2kg
Item weight: 0.352lbs(0.16kg)
Material: aluminum alloy
How to do polar alignment with phones?
- Set up well your Rotator and camera.
- Mount the Phone Mount to the Rotator, your phone to the Phone Mount.
- Open a planetarium app and go to its AR feature, look for North/South Pole(depends on the hemisphere you're in) with the app.
There you go, ready to shoot!
How to mount it?
- Screw the Phone Mount onto a rig, the side of the Rotator facing at the ground in the case of polar alignment.
- Mount your phone to it and lock it well by controlling the knobs.
- Align the edge of your phone with the edge of the Rotator.
- Lock the position by rotating the knob on the other side compared to your phone.
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
I have not as yet used the unit and have been waiting for the phone mount. I live in the southern hemisphere and the difficulty of locating the south pole axis has now been made a lot easier. With winter here and clear nights I am hoping to go to Lake Tekapo - a designated World Clear sky area to test the unit. I am confident in the unit as it has been produced with care and delivered to the highest standard. I cannot yet review its performance but I expect it to provide everything an amateur like me could hope for. Rob
Small, simple and does a great job!. I bought for when travelling as others are combersone but this is exactly what I wanted and does and excellent job, even using in the day for daytime lapse photos it's great.
I travel all over the country so having a reliable star tracker that is sturdy and compact like the MSM, is a complete game changer. I've been able to get crisp 2 minute exposures at 120mm!
The phone mount is well made and greatly helps in polar alignment, especially as I stay near the equator and cannot see polaris and both laser and scope is useless. Now all i need is point north and set my rotator to the my latitude angle with the help of the phone.
This is great, the only way I can align without seeing Polaris. Certainly good enough for 30s exposures. The holder is a little loose at the joint, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal or cause problems for alignment.
Overall I was very impressed with the purchase of the full kit. Easy to setup and use. Laser pointer makes alignment easy. Was happy from my first time out,
Only issue comes with the battery in the laser pointer - I have no way to charge the rechargeable battery that came with it, so either need to buy a charger or look for replacement disposable batteries. The second item that was useful but suddenly became a case of “I wish I waited” is the “ wedge” adjuster. Sadly this was outdated within a month with a newer more compact z-type or v-type adjuster.
The phone mount for polar alignment works great with the laser, makes doing the alignment in the southern hemisphere a breeze.
I ordered the cell phone mount to use when Polaris isn't visible. I had a chance to use it recently in a shoot, and it worked remarkably well. I took 2-minute exposures after aligning only with my phone using the mount, and there were no star trails in the images. Very impressed, and definitely worth it.
very small cool product
Light weight, easy to use and inexpensive